U. S. Grant Post #67
Bay, Bay County, Michigan
Organized June 12, 1882
The name used by this Post on all Reports in 1882 was Bay City Post. From 1883 to September of 1885 the name was changed to Ralph W. Cummings of Bay City. Ralph W. Cummings enlisted in Company F, 23rd Michigan Infantry as 1st Sergeant on July 28, 1862, age 28. He was commissioned Assistant Surgeon on November 10, 1862. He was Surgeon, 1st U. S. Colored Artillery on March 10, 1864.
On the September 1895 Report the name was changed to honor President U. S. Grant.
The Post was Mustered with 34 Charter Members.
The first Post Commander was Henry S. Maynard. No service record was provided when he became a member of the Post.
The Post met at several locations on Center Street, including St. George Hall, Teutonia Hall, and K of P Hall. In 1885 the meeting place is noted as G.A.R. Hall on Washington Street. In 1921 they indicate meeting at the Armory on Washington Street.
The last Post Commander was Thomas E. Webster who served in the 2nd New York Heavy Artillery.
Reports are missing for 1930, 1931, 1932, 1934 and 1935.
The Post was disbanded September 18, 1940.