Phil Sheridan Post #4
Reading, Hillsdale County, Michigan
Organized June 12, 1878
This Post was designated as Post 7 at its organization and was named to honor Frank B. Forncrook of Reading. He enlisted in Company E, 4th Michigan Infantry, for three years, on June 20, 1861 at Adrian.
He was 28 years of age. He was killed in action at Malvern Hill, Va. on July 1, 1862. The letter petition to form a Post requested that it be known as Reading Post No. 7
When the Department was reorganized in 1879 this post was renumbered to Post 4. The members had also requested that the name be changed to Phil Sheridan, and this was approved. No reports were filed in 1882 and the Post was again reorganized on April 12, 1883.
The Post met originally at the Odd Fellows Hall on Main Street in Reading. In 1883 they indicated their meetings were at the Masonic Hall. From 1884 on the meeting place was listed as the G.A.R. Hall on the west side of Main Street.
Alfonso Shafer was the first Post Commander. He served as a Corporal, Company B and K of the 4th Michigan Infantry.
The last Commander was Frank Emery who served as a Private in Company E, 72nd New York Infantry.
The last report for this Post was filed June 30 1922 and indicated two Members in good standing. The Post was disbanded June 22, 1925.