Gordon Granger Post #38
East Saginaw, Saginaw County, Michigan
Organized December 14, 1881
The Post was named for Major General Gordon Granger. He was born about 1822 in New York and graduated from West Point in 1845. He served with distinction during the Mexican War and was promoted for gallant and meritorious service at Contreras and Churubusco. He was promoted to Captain for similar service at Chapultepec, Mexico.. At the start of the Civil War he the appointed Colonel of the 2nd Michigan Cavalry He was promoted to Brigadier General for services at Wilson's Creek, Missouri August 10, 1862. He commander the 4th Corps at Missionary Ridge in November 1863 and was commander of the 13th Corps in the capture of Fort Morgan and operations leading to the fall of Mobile. He was promoted to Major General. He left the service January 15, 1866. At the time of his death he was in command of of the District of New Mexico, having been promoted Colonel in the regular army July 28, 1866. He died in Santa Fe, New Mexico, January 10, 1876.
On the Report of June 30, 1899 the Post is identified as the "Saginaw Post" and was thus known for the balance of its operation.
The Post was Mustered with 35 Charter Members.
The first Post Commander was J. M. Keller who served as a Musician in Company G, 90th Pennsylvania Infantry. He enlisted March 1, 1862 and served until March 1, 1865.
The Post first met in Buenavista Hall on Genesee Street. Later in 1882 they met at the K of P Hall (over Downs Shoe Store) on Genesee Street. In 1884 they report meeting at IOOF Hall, Red Men's Hall and McLean's Hall on Genesee Street. In 1888 they met at Pythian Hall, 124 N. Washington Street. In 1899 they met at Stay Engineers, 216 Genesee. They met at the P.P.P. Palace, 106 Jefferson Avenue from 1901 to 1905 when they met at the K of P at 124 N. Washington. In 1907 they met at City Hall. in 1910 they met at Foresters Temple on Franklin Street and by 1912 they were back at the K of P at 124 N. Washington. In 1914 they met at the Foresters Hall, corner of Franklin and Federal. Their final meeting place was the Eagles on South Jefferson.
The last Post Commander was F. D. Keeler who served in Company D, 16th Michigan Infantry, enlisting on August 1, 1861, discharged September 1, 1864.
The Post was disbanded June 4, 1937.