A. Lincoln Post #19
Bangor, Van Buren County, Michigan
Organized May 20, 1881
This Post was named in honor of the Civil War President.
The Post was mustered with 51 Charter Members.
The first Post Commander was J. G. Todd who enlisted as Captain of Company H, 35 New York Infantry on May 13, 1861 at the age of 26. He was discharged as Colonel of the 35th New York Infantry on June 5, 1863. He had transferred from Post 14 at the organization of Post 19. He died on November 16, 1919.
The Post met at three places on Monroe Street, Ransom’s in 1881, McMillan’s in 1884 and Dr. Croning’s in 1891. In December of 1893 they note DeLong’s Hall on Rail Road Street and in 1895 the indicate G. A. R. Hall on Rail Road Street. A note with regard to meeting location on the December 31, 1929 report notes; ”No more”.
The Last Post Commander was W. Harrison Ashley who served as a Private in Company K, 13th Michigan Infantry from June 30, 1864 to November 11, 1864 when he was discharged for disability. He was the last member of this Post and died in December 1939.
The Post was disbanded in December 1939.